Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 87 ~ "Funky" Like Me

I get to teach with my best friend, Tanya everyday.  She and I share 42 kindergarteners in a very large fabulous classroom.  This is the 3rd year we have done this and I can't imagine teaching in a classroom by myself again. Tanya's sweet mother,  Ms. Phyllis (that's what she told the kids to call her) just finished doing "Junior Achievement" with our class today.  This is a program where a volunteer goes through some training and then spends about 40 minutes once a week for about 5 weeks in a classroom teaching children about wants and needs, etc.   Ms. Phyllis did a great job and the students really enjoyed her lessons.  Today was her last day and she came bearing gifts.  Each student got a yummy rice krispy treat! They were so excited about that.  But, not only did Ms. Phyllis bring the students gifts, she also brought one to me, Tanya, and our student teacher.  Ms. Phyllis is a very talented painter and she does ceramics.  Her home on Lay Lake has been featured in a magazine because her talents reach out in all parts of her house and yard.  I've been to her house several times and have enjoyed her hospitality.  So, today I was thrilled to become the owner of one of her original pieces....
 This is a bowl of sorts and has the prettiest colors in it.  And, she did not know this but, these colors match my kitchen.  She gave Tanya a beautiful wine holder made from the same pattern and colors.  She gave our student teacher a pretty small tray with a flower on it. But, she saved this piece for me and said she was giving it to me because it is "funky" and so was I.  I am so okay with her calling me "funky".  I will treasure my funky bowl for a long time. It is going to look great as a center piece on my kitchen table.  Here are some more pictures of it.  It needed more than one to show details.


No comments:

Post a Comment